Solar system refers to the eight planets and their natural satellites (such as moon) that revolves around the sun in their orbit.
Eight or nine planets: It may be noted that, prior to 2006, we all believed that there are nine planets because Pluto was considered a planet during those days. However, in 2006, the IAU had decided to re-categorize Pluto as a “Dwaft planet” and not a real planet. Hence, we are left with 8 planets only in our solar system.
- Mercury (nearest to sun, smallest planet),
- Venus (nearest to earth, hottest planet),
- Earth (our planet),
- Mars (second smallest planet),
- Jupiter(biggest planet),
- Saturn (second largest planet),
- Uranus and
- Neptune (farthest planet to the sun).